The Soldier’s Monument is dedicated to the residents who lived in Queensbury that fought in the Civil War.
Located in Glens Falls at intersection of Glen, Bay, and South Streets, the Soldier’s Monument was erected to the 644 men who served from Queensbury in the Civil War from 1861-65. The names of 95 men who died in battle or from wounds or disease are engraved on the monument. The monument became the property of the city of Glens Falls when it was chartered in 1908. Made of sandstone, it has undergone three preservation efforts since it dedication in 1872. The last restoration was in 1999 and resulted in the replacement of the large sandstone eagle on the top with a terra cotta replica. A new eagle, engineered to be more flexible in high winds, was placed on the city monument in 1999. In 2012, Glens Falls Mayor John “Jack” Diamond agreed to an open-ended loan of the eagle as a good-faith gesture in celebration of the town’s 250th anniversary, to be on long-term display inside Queensbury Town Hall.