Diamond Island

This island served as a British depot during the American Revolution. It is named for the quartz crystals found here. 

General John Burgoyne c. 1766 by Sir Joshua Reynolds. Used with permission from the Frick Collection.

In 1777, British General John Burgoyne used Diamond Island as a supply depot. It was later captured by Americans under Colonel John Brown cutting off Burgoyne’s retreat to Canada following the Battles of Saratoga.

 

Comments are closed