Having explored all there is to see in Lake George, Stoddard proceeded up the Lake.
Stoddard guides and photographs capture a fleeting moment in time. Within a decade of Stoddard publishing his first guide to Lake George, the landscape around Lake George had already begun to change. Much of the change has to do with the arrival of the railroad in 1882.
It was only logical that the Delaware and Hudson Railroad Company would extend their line to Lake George. The company owned the exquisite Fort William Henry Hotel, the Lake George Steamboat Company, as well as several lines that took travelers to Lake Champlain where they owned other elegant hotels, such as Hotel Champlain, which opened in 1890.
The Lake George Railway Station was reconstructed in the early 1900s. It has since been renovated and is home to several shops directly across the street from the Steel Pier and the Lake George Visitors Center.