Nomad Monument

Site GPS: N44 37.081 W73 24.566

Landing GPS: N44 37.092 W73 24.537

This small monument is a memorial to Canadian Lt. Col. Gerald W. Birks (1872‐1950) who visited Valcour Island often on his yacht, the Nomad, which was crewed by high school and college students. During World War One, Birks and some of his crewmen traveled to fight in Europe where four of his companions died. A generation later, five of his crewmen were killed in World War Two. The monument marks the fallen crewmen’s and Birks’ lives. Map below by Kevin Kelley:

Comments are closed