The American House was a grand hotel and a stopping point for the Glens Falls – Lake George Stagecoach.
The American House was located on the northwest corner of Glen and South Streets. It was originally constructed of wood. The stagecoach stopped here on its route between Glens Falls – Lake George, but it also catered to local guests with an attached barn for the horses and coaches of the hotel guests. Fire destroyed the original hotel on August 5, 1879. George Pardo, manager, built a brick version of the American House 1879-1880.
The former site of the hotel is now a city green space with access to the Lapham Gallery and the Folk Life Center at Crandall Public Library.