The first settlers of the nearby Hadley-Luzerne area were Jeremy Rockwell and his wife, Betsy Bird Rockwell, arriving in 1788. Together with their twelve children, including George T. Rockwell, they converted their tavern into the Rockwell Hotel with four additional cottages for guests. Many visitors came up from New York City and Washington, D.C. to enjoy the clean, crisp air. In 1891, the Rockwell Hotel burned down. It was rebuilt to accommodating 150 guests in 1905, but the hotel burned again in 1917. It was never rebuilt. Visit the the Rockwell Harmon House Visitor’s Center for more information about the Town.