The Lake George Steamboat formerly made regular stops at Bolton Landing, but has since discontinued service.
Stoddard continued his route northeast out of Bolton, where the Lake George Steamboat formerly offered service. Along the way he passed Green Island, the second largest island on the Lake. Today, Green Island is home to the magnificent Sagamore Hotel.
Built in 1882, the hotel was named after a Native American character in James Fenimore Cooper’s The Last of the Mohicans. The building was damaged by fires in 1893 and 1914, and rebuilt in the early 1920s. It was then completely rebuilt in 1930 with financial support of Dr. William G. Beckers, and William H. Bixby. (See Mohican Point).
The hotel fell in disrepair and closed briefly in the 1980s. It was later acquired by a property management company and restored. The Sagamore is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.