Andebit et beaqui corendit, ut quostes esciendion re dit ad et prae parion es quia quas alibus sam, omnim faciden ducipidiat arum autem nobis enis es voat
Thurman Station Flag Stop on the Saratoga & North Creek Railway
Day passes on the trains will enable passengers to make trips from North Creek or Thurman to Hadley, Corinth or Saratoga or any combination that fits the schedule. Want to go to New York City? Connect with Amtrak in Saratoga and leave the driving to Saratoga & North Creek Railway.
Although tickets may be purchased on board, it is highly recommended that those planning to ride call for reservations, as small stations like Thurman will be “flag stops” only (trains will not stop unless they know that passengers plan to board or leave the train—or are flagged down as they approach the station). To reserve a seat phone 877-726-7245.
Season And Hours Open
Train times are subject to change, please visit www.sncrr.com to see the current schedule.
The Town of Thurman dates back to the late 18th century, when frontier families established farms and cut timber for themselves and the rapidly growing fledgling nation. Local industry and the prospect of a railroad through the Adirondacks inspired the railroad’s construction in the 1860s.
Thomas C. Durant brought the Adirondac branch to Thurman in 1870, and a combination passenger/freight house was built, a long, rambling structure. Within a couple more years the tracks had been extended to North Creek, even stretching to North River beyond, and the North Country had a new link to the rest of the world. In the 1940s tracks were laid from North Creek to Tahawus to enable transport of titanium.
Few remember the 1870s passenger and freight station that was torn down in 1930. It exists only in old photographs, although it is said that timbers from the station became structural members in a house in Athol, still standing today. The station was replaced by a three-sided, flat roofed shelter with clapboard siding, which remained until passenger service was suspended in 1956. Freight service ceased in the 1980s.
It was July 8, 2006 that the first passenger train in fifty years again ran through Thurman. In October of that same year, officials from Warren County and the State of New York joined together at Thurman Station to break ground for the new station.*
The Thurman Station Association was formed by a group of civic-minded residents of Thurman and nearby towns who saw the economic potential of building and managing a full-sized station at or near the original site. In addition to eventual train ticket sales, potential exists to provide for selling locally made products such as maple syrup and handicrafts, and services such as hay rides, horseback riding, canoe trips and guided hikes and historic tours. It was anticipated that the station also could serve as a distribution center for local publicity materials and a mini-museum of Thurman’s railroad history, as well as a staging area for local events. The Thurman Station Association is open for membership as follows:
Individual: $15 | Student: $10 | Family: $25 |
Contributing: $50 Lifetime: $250
For more information and a membership application contact:
Thurman Station Association
P.O. Box 29, Athol, NY 12810 or e-mail us at [email protected]